Friday, November 19, 2004

¡Te Amo Peru! (I love you, Peru!)

It's been a great week here in Lima! The highlight was the Peru vs. Chili soccer game that we went to on Wednesday night...it was awesome! My entire servant team (Monica, Jill, Aaron, and Mark), Craig and Brian (two staff), Craig's roommate and Alexis (one of the youth from the drop-in center) all went. It was crazy! The sea of people dressed in red and white (Peru's colors...which was funny to see, being from Husker land and all) started several blocks before the stadium. Police had streets blocked off, so we had to walk around quite a bit to actually get into the correct line. The lines to get in various gates would all around the stadium, into side streets, etc. Our line even ran from the stadium, over and overpass, and then back over the overpass again back to the stadium. All along there were vendors selling Peru stuff: shirts, bandanas, flags, hats, wigs...I settled for a bandana, but Aaron took full advantage of the attire. By the end of the evening he was sporting a jersey, flag cape, scarf, and the crowning piece: a giant red and white soccer ball hat...no worries about losing track of Aaron in a crowd!

At two points in the night I could understand how people could get trampled to death at a soccer game (don't worry mom, we weren't close to dying) but I could see how, if the crowd was especially unfriendly, it could get out of control. Once, on the way in, a bunch of people rushed out line, trying to cut in. We grabbed on to each other's shoulders and pushed ourselved against the fence in order to stay strong. Another time, on the way out, the crowd was so tight, I think I could've lifted my feet up and simply have been carried along...crazy!

The game itself was fabulous! Peru won 2-1, which is awesome because Chili has a great team. One of their best players got a red card early in the game, so that probably helped a bit. We were three rows from the field right by the north goal Both of the goals that Peru scored were in that goal, so we could see all the action close up. I'm not generally a soccer fan, but if I could always be at a live game like that, I definately would be! The atheltic ability of soccer players, especially their footwark, is amazing!

After the game we walked home because getting a bus or taxi would've been impossible. Their was exciement and energy in teh air the whole way. People were honking, shouting from windows, the whole city was excited about the win. Attending a big soccer game should be on the list of " things I have to do" when visitng a South American country...I highly recommend it!

The other big news of the week is that Melanie finally walked today! I don't know if I've told you about Melanie before. She is the 1+ year old daughter of a guy and girl that regularly come to Casa Job. She is one of the cutest kids I have ever seen (not counting my nieces and nephews, of course). We've been coaxing her to walk for quite some time and today she finally did it! The look on her mom's face was priceless! I think that Melanie has been holding out on us though, practicing when we're not watching or something because she walked a lot of times and always seemed pretty confident about it. It was so cool to be a part of such a special moment. Working with Word Made Flesh is so great in the way that I really feel like I am friends with the kids...not just a person that is here to do my good deed and go home. Hard to explain, but just know that they do ministry in a really great way here.

Other notable events of the week: Yesteday we had a girls day at Maria's house. Maria and her husband work for Mustard Seed, another organization that works with street kids in Lima. Word Made Flesh teams up with them on several things, like going out to the street on Tuesday and Friday nights. Five of the street girls came. First, the girls made lunch for everyone, which was really neat...and very tasty! None of them have homes with kitchens, so it's a real treat for them to be able to prepare an actual meal. Living with Carmen and not having my own kitchen has made me realize how crummy that would be, to never to able to cook in a nice kitchen. After lunch, Monica, Jill, and I entertained the kids while the girls had a devotional. There were 6 kids there, ranging in age from 6 months to 2 1/2 years, so we had our hands full!

After the devotional, we gave the girls pedicures. At first they were a little timid to let us to that, but they really got into it and had a great time. Everyone left with pretty pink toes and smiles on their faces from a fun afternoon. That motivated Monica, Jill, and I to have a little girl time of our own last night...my feet have taken quite a beating from being here (dirty street and sandals, because I'm too lazy to wear socks because then I'll have to wash them), so they needed a little TLC.

It was great to spend the afternoon with just the girls. At Casa Job, it seems like the girls are alsways a bit more reserved, partly, I think because the boys are kind of loud and rowdy, so they feel like they need to be a little more "on guard" I think. Also, Casa Job isn't exactly the most baby-friendly place, so it's great to be around the girls when they are relaxed, not having to worry about what their kids might be getting into, not having to worry about getting all their laundry done, showers taken, babies bathed, etc, all during the free period. They could just be themselves.

Well, that about sums up Lima life for this week. It's beginning to set in that in a little over three weeks I'll be home. That thought makes me excited and sad, all at the same time. Who knows what the future holds, but I do know that I am excited to see and talk with you all soon! As always, thanks for the prayers and emails...they are fabulous! Adios amigos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home