Friday, September 10, 2004

Bombs Away!

Flea bombs, that is. Yes, you heard right. We have fleas Actually Monica has fleas, but only because she had a stroke of bad luck that Jill and I didn't. Any of us could've gotten fleas (and I wouldn't be suprised if I do before this trip is done). Monica has been battling bites all week, so this morning, before we left for Casa Job, we set off a flea bomb. So, all those little critters should be good and dead now!

It's been a good week here in Lima. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday were spent at Casa Job. Anna is back from vacation. She is the director of Casa Job. She had taken a month off, so we hadn't met her until this week. She runs a tight ship there, which is great. We now start and end on time, have a bit more structure to our time there...the structure lover in me is so excited to have her there! I have found myself in charge of the first floor shower often this week...those boys take forever sometimes!

Tuesday, the servant team went to Casa Job with Brian (the director of all the Word Made Flesh activities in Peru) and Craig, one of the staff, to finish the painting and cleaning we had started last week. I scrubbed several floors, on my hands and knees, with a kitchen Brillo pad-like thing. Let me tell you, that was a job well done. I love cleaning where I can see progress! After cleaning we grabbed lunch at a cheap Chinese place down the street. I have never seen such huge portions of food!

We had Spanish class twice this week. Our professor Irma is a hoot. She is very out-spoken, which makes for some entertaining classes.

Last week was the first Husker game, right? Several things this week reminded me of that. First, I can't remember where I was, but I saw a woman (I think it was one of the nights that I was on the street, so it may have been one of the youth we work with) with a Nebraska Cornhusker coat on. Who would've thought that I'd see a Husker coat on a native in Lima, Peru! Then, Tuesday night, we were at Plaza Vea (our favorite grocery store) getting a bedtime snack. They have an area where they sell electronics. There was a massive group of people gathered around the TVs. Every so often, a large roar and applause would erupt. We found out it was because one of the favorite local soccer teams was playing a very intense game. It was hilarious. That reminded me of the Huskermania back home.

Well, that's about it for this week. We're settling into a routine here, which is nice. Hope all is well wherever you are reading this. Thanks for your continued thoughts and prayers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home