Sunday, September 05, 2004

Funny moments...

Thought you might enjoy hearing about my embarrasing moment. Last week, we were in teh grocery store, buying supplies to make sandwiches to go out to the streets (see the last journal entry for more on that). I was at the check-out. The cashier asked me, in English, where I was from. I told her the United States and then wanted to tell her that her English was very good. As I was giving that compliment, I put my fingers up in the "ok" sign to go with the compliment I was giving here. The problem? In Peru, putting your thumb and index finger together in the circle and then putting the other three fingers up doesn't mean "ok" like it does in the States. Instead, it is like giving someone the finger. I knew that, but have been havingn problems remembering to avoid that sign. As soon as I realized I did it, I gasped, laughed, and tried to apologize. The woman was very nice about it, but I felt preety foolish, none the less.

Another fun mental picture for you all...last Tuesday, we had a dinner meeting at Jennifer's house (the servant team leader). We hadn't eaten all day and didn't have enough time to go home before having to meet early at Jennifer's house for a training session before dinner, so Monica, Jill, and I decided to go to the grocery store to buy some lunch snacks (it was about 3pm. No resteraunts were open because it was a state holiday). We bought our snacks and then couldn't decide where to eat them. We finally settled on sitting on the last bench at the bus stop. That was comical because the three of us draw enough attention the way it is without sitting at a bus stop, eating, and never getting on a bus. By the end of our little meal, we had made several new friends, one who even spoke some English. It was an entertaining lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home